Monday, December 12, 2011

Elf on the Shelf Shenanigans

Have you heard about the Elf on the Shelf? If not and you have kids, you'll want to read on!

Santa recently opened up the North Pole for scout elves to leave their home and visit the homes of children around the world. The scout elves have a very important job and that is to watch how the kids are behaving and then report back to Santa each night while the kids are sleeping.

But beware, scout elves are a bit mischievous (must be all the sugar available at the North Pole) and they tend to hide in crazy places. They have been known to make a mess too.

Our Story:

We were so lucky to adopt an Elf about three years ago. I went to an adoption center not far from our home and selected the elf that I wanted for my boys. He showed up the next morning, hidden in our tree. He brought his story along with him and left a book under the tree. The boys named him Bernard, after the number one elf in The Santa Clause.

The first two years Bernard was with us were great. He didn't seem to get into to many predicaments. Nothing like what we have heard about from other families who have Elves on their Shelves.

Last year he brought back a great poem that he wrote. I wanted to share it with you today:

Gavin and Ean, my favorite two boys,
I've come back from up north
Where we've been busy making toys.

Santa sends you his love and a great big ole smile.
He knows you're being good,
he's been watching all the while.

He wonders if you can help, can you spare a few toys?
He'd like to give them away
To other good girls and good boys.

Only pack up the ones you don't play with anymore
Just place them in a box
And leave them by the front door.

I will return to the North Pole as you sleep during the night
I'll give them to Santa
to have for his big flight.

I know you won't mind, you are both very sweet.
And when I come back
I'll bring you a treat!

(it's a great poem, isn't it? The author should be so proud and I'm certain won't mind if other elves happen to use it!)

This year, however, things changed. I'm thinking that Bernard has gotten a little comfortable with us. He's been a bit naughty this year. First, he clearly found it funny to make fun of the author of this here blog:


 Nice tiara there Bernard! Someone fancies himself a bit of a Princess??

As if that wasn't enough, he decided to have a little party with a couple of our other holiday friends.



He even made a trek down to Cincinnati when we went to visit this weekend. This really surprised the kids.

There's just 13 days left until Christmas and this year Bernard has a lighter load as he only has to be here a week at a time. I think that he has too much time on his hands and he's spending his time concocting new tricks.

I'll keep you posted.

I truly have no idea why those pics are sideways. I can not figure out what is wrong. Do they look right to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment